Last month I discussed 6 Step Facial Rejuvenation Step 1 Skin Exfoliation the first step for maintaining young looking skin and rejuvenating sun damaged skin. Step 2 of the 6 Step Facial Rejuvenation Program is to build new Collagen in the deeper skin layer called the Dermis.
What Is Skin Collagen
Collagen is a natural protein in your body that is found in the deep layer of your skin called the Dermis. The Dermis is the red part of your skin that you see when you scrape your knee and the surface or epithelium is scraped off.
Collagen is the major component of your Dermis. A special type of Collagen called Elastin acts like a rubber band to keep your skin tight. Collagen is crucial to skin health and young looking skin. Collagen supports skin health by:
1. Plumps the skin-prevents skin wrinkles
2. Structural Support-prevents skin damage from trauma (Stretch Marks are caused by rupture of Collagen by stretching of the skin during pregnancy)
3. Helps nourish the skin by supporting blood vessels and the flow of nutrients to the skin
4. Provides elasticity-the ability of the skin to snap back when pulled-keeps the skin from sagging
5. Supports the growth of new skin cells-Epithelium-on the skin surface
Collagen is produced by a cell in the Dermis called the Fibroblast. All modern non-surgical facial rejuvenation and skin rejuvenation methods work by stimulating Fibroblasts in the Dermis to produce new Collagen.
Why Is New Skin Collagen Important for Young Looking Skin
The most profound aging changes in your skin are loss of normal Collagen and Elastin. Over your lifetime you can lose as much as 2/3 of your Collagen and Elastin and your skin can thin by 20%.
The visible effects of Collagen and Elastin loss on your skin are:
2. Dry Skin
3. Thin Skin
4. Dull Looking Skin
5. Sagging or Loose Skin
How to Make New Skin Collagen-Stimulate Your Fibroblasts!
New Fibroblasts can be stimulated to produce new Collagen by controlled or mild inflammation. Inflammation is the body’s response to irritation or injury. I say controlled or mild inflammation because repeated severe inflammation-such as many sun burns can result in cell death and destruction of Collagen.
Modern skin rejuvenation methods produce controlled inflammation to stimulate new Fibroblasts to build new Collagen and younger looking skin without causing harmful effects. They are:
1. Topical Retin A- Retin A skin cream has been proven to stimulate the growth of new Collagen in the Dermis.
2. Microdermabrasion- Microdermabrasion not only exfoliates but also produces a mild inflammation which stimulates new Collagen production.
3. Starlux Non-Ablative 1540 Fractional Erbium Laser Treatments-Unlike older CO2 Laser Resurfacing new Non-ablative Fractional Laser treatments do not remove skin and there is no down time. Your skin may be pink but no open wounds, drainage or other visible effects.
4. Combined Laser Resurfacing- This exciting new laser technique is the most effective Collagen stimulating facial skin rejuvenation technique available today. There is a recovery period or down time of 5-7 days. For a detailed discussion see my blog on Combined Laser Resurfacing.
Come in For A Free Skin Evaluation
Our Medical Aestheticians are experts at evaluating your skin and recommending the best program for maintaining young looking skin and repairing sun damaged and aging skin. Call 978-369-4499 or email us to make an appointment. Dr. Doherty and I are always available to help you with your decisions.