Tummy Tuck is a very popular Plastic Surgery procedure and can restore a nice flat belly after your pregnancy has left you with loose abdominal skin or a pouch on your belly after a C Section. There are many factors to help you decide whether you need a tummy tuck and how to decide.
However there are many Boston Tummy Tuck options in the “Medical Mecca” of Boston, Massachusetts and you need to read about and understand the many options available to you. You need to make the right choice if you are going to achieve the result that is best for you.
What is A Tummy Tuck?
It is a Plastic Surgery procedure called an Abdominoplasty. Most commonly an incision is made in the lower Abdomen near the Pubic Hairline, the loose skin is lifted off of the underlying Abdominal Muscles, the skin is pulled down and the excess loose skin is removed. The remaining skin is sutured closed and the skin of the Abdomen or your belly looks tighter.
Who Needs or Wants an Abdominoplasty Procedure?
Most people who consult me for this procedure are women who have had children. However, today many more men are also considering Abdominoplasty Surgery after they have lost weight. The most common reasons are:
• Loose flabby lower Abdominal Skin after pregnancy
• A pouch on the lower Abdomen caused by a C Section Scar
• Loose Abdominal Skin after weight loss
• Excellent Fitness after diet and exercise but Lower Abdominal Skin still loose
• Always had “Pudgy Belly” and cannot get rid of it with exercise
• Split Abdominal Muscles after Pregnancy-Diastasis Recti
What Different Types of Abdominoplasty Surgery Are There?
Today there are many different ways to tighten Abdominal Skin and the term Tummy Tuck is used to describe both surgical and non-surgical procedures used to tighten the Abdominal Skin and create a “flat belly.” It is very important for you to understand the difference between these various terms as the results, scarring, recovery and benefits are very different for each of these different Plastic Surgery procedures.
• Full Tummy Tuck or Full Abdominoplasty– The main feature of a Full Abdominoplasty is that your Belly Button or Umbilicus will be different. In a Full Abdominoplasty the entire Abdominal Skin is elevated off of the underlying Abdominal Muscles. This means that an incision is made in the lower abdomen and around your belly button so that the belly button is left attached to your abdominal wall muscles. Once the excess Abdominal Skin is removed, a belly button site on the tightened Skin is chosen and the belly button repaired. A full Tummy Tuck is required if your Abdominal Muscles are split after pregnancy a condition called Diastasis Recti.
• Mini Tummy Tuck or Mini Abdominoplasty– a Mini Abdominoplasty does not change or involve your Belly Button. The Mini Abdominoplasty procedure only removes the loose lower Abdominal Skin and cannot be used to repair split Abdominal Muscles.
• Bikini Tuck- a Bikini Tuck is simply a Mini Abdominoplasty in which the incision is hidden below the “Bikini Line.” This is determined pre operatively by marking the outlines of your Bikini and designing the incision inside those lines.
• Laser Tummy Tuck-This laser procedure refers to the abdominal skin tightening achieved using Laser Assisted Liposuction such as SlimLipo. The newer Laser Liposuction does provide skin tightening as well as fat removal and for many patients, this technique has eliminated the need for a formal Abdominoplasty.
• Non-Surgical Tummy Tuck- This refers to non-surgical skin tightening procedures such as LuxIR Deep, Thermage and others that use an external device such as Infrared or Radiofrequency energy to heat and tighten the skin. They achieve about 10-20% tightening and are not as effective as other methods listed above.
How to Choose the Best Procedure for You
• Full Abdominoplasty– If you have significant loose skin of both the upper and lower abdomen, usually after extensive weight loss, you will need a full Abdominoplasty
• Mini or Bikini Abdominoplasty – Most normal body weight women who have lower abdominal laxity after childbirth can achieve a nice result with a Mini Abdominoplasty.
• Laser Assisted Liposuction Skin Tightening– If you have a moderate amount of fat beneath your abdominal skin and a minimal amount of loose skin, Laser Assisted Liposuction such as SlimLipo should give you a nice result.
• Non-surgical Abdominal Skin Tightening- If you have only minor skin laxity, especially around the Belly Button that cannot be corrected with a Mini Abdominoplasty, then non-surgical skin tightening may be of help. You will need 4-5 treatments to get the full benefit.
Choose an Experienced Surgeon Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
If you are considering any type of Plastic Surgery, your health and safety are the most important factors in your decision. After all, a surgical Abdominoplasty is an elective procedure, you do not have to have the operation, and it is your choice. So choosing a doctor who is an expert and is concerned about your overall health and well being should be the most important factor in your decision once you decide to have surgery.
You can find a listing of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area who are expert at Cosmetic Plastic Surgery by visiting the website of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.
For further information call us at 978-369-4499.